Welcome to LIZARD® NDE
LIZARD® NDE is a world leader in the field of advanced non-destructive testing technologies and the home of the LIZARD® brand. LIZARD® is a technology capable of providing Alternating Current Field Measurement, Classic Phase Plane Impedance and our exclusive Field Gradient Imaging data from a single scan pass, whether array or single element. Driven by the realities faced by clients and from listening carefully to feedback from inspection personnel in the field, the LIZARD® technology continues to evolve into one of the most innovative and exciting NDE products on the market.
Lizard® NDE manufacture exclusively in the UK using high quality components and professional engineering know how. Software development is also kept in-house with constant re-assessment and innovation of all of the products to ensure the LIZARD® technology continues to push the envelope of advanced NDT.
We strive to provide not only the best NDE product but also the level of support that is demanded from the tough operating environment of our clients. We understand the difficulties faced on site including the demanding timescales involved and therefore make every effort to minimise downtime wherever possible and whatever the cause. As a result of this ethos our Lizard® M8 range has been deliberately designed to take advantage of readily available third party items such as batteries and power supplies to enable clients to source locally in the first instance. We also allow direct download copies of the LIZARD® LISS Inspection Software through our website in the event of a PC/laptop failure for registered clients.
We at Lizard® NDE recognise the realities, difficulties and requirements of the NDT world. Therefore our ethos is to strive to exceed our client’s expectations with world leading technology and support.
Key features of the Lizard® Technology include:
- Unique Field Gradient technology and Lizard® LISS Software provides Field Gradient Imaging, Electromagnetic Array, Alternating Current Field Measurement and standard Eddy Current data information from each sensor element in a single scan pass whether site or laboratory based.
- Reliable, rapid inspection through either conductive (zinc, flame sprayed aluminium, etc.) or non-conductive (paint, composites, etc.) coatings of structures or piece parts with repeatable results for true defect monitoring with real-time and archived ‘Lift Off’ data information per channel (probe coupling information)
- Inspect, detect, analyse and monitor defects with true length and depth measurement across defect profile without the requirement to re-scan. Size defects at leisure whether on site or at later review stage.
- Lizard® LISS Software operates under a Windows environment with advanced features utilizing simple software sliders for rapid data manipulation and operator ease.
- High Probability of Detection with significantly low False Calls, the inclusion of Classic Eddy Current data per channel provides lower false calls than any other AC Field Measurement system on the market.
- LIZARD® probe types can be manufactured as topside or subsea variants (diver or ROV deployed) with omni-directional and pick and place options available.
- Dedicated sizing mode for rapid and detailed defect analysis, length and signal depth information is provided from a single scan pass without the requirement to perform physical measurements on site. Size defect data at anytime, anywhere.
- LIZARD® M8 System
The LIZARD® M8 NDE system is an advanced electromagnetic defect detection and corrosion mapping system for structural and materials integrity assessment. System variants are available for topside or subsea inspection use, both operating under the same LISS software to ensure a common interface for all users. With the implementation of the new build standard the LIZARD® M8 is now able to drive extended probe cables of up to 200M in length, whether topside only or topside to subsea allowing for the use of the topside LIZARD® M8 system for ‘near surface’ or ‘air diving’ subsea inspection programmes. For deep water applications the LIZARD® Dive system is available either for diver or ROV deployment.
The LIZARD® system provides uncompromising performance in one low cost instrument. Whether your need is LIZARD® Electromagnetic Array, LIZARD® AC Field Measurement, advanced LIZARD® Field Gradient Imaging (FGI) or Classic Eddy Current inspection or alternatively choose a user defined combination of techniques to ensure total confidence in defect detection.
The latest build standard of the topside LIZARD® M8 provides –
System Specification -
- Multi-Channel system compliant with EN1711, EN473 and ASTM E2261-07 inspection
- Lizard® Inspection and Analysis software (LISS)
- Lizard® Eddy Current, Alternating Current Field Measurement, EMA (Electromagnetic Array) and FGI (Field Gradient Imaging) simultaneous acquisition display
- Defect sizing, display switchable between raw signal and defect depth modes
- Remote controlled operation for single user operation
- Fast digital sampling for rapid inspection rates and software filters for scan noise reduction
- Full inspection traceability with full data storage and retrieval
- Metal sorting capability
- Automatic probe gain set up
- Standard RS485 USB Communication Port allowing up to 500M distance between Lizard® M8 and laptop/PC
- Additional RS232 communication port for optional short distance connection
- Lizard® FGI, EMA and Alternating Current Field Measurement probe support via Lemo connector
- Classic Eddy Current probe Jaeger style connector (adaptors available for most third party Eddy Current probe types, alternative connector options available at point of order)
- Scan Encoder input for marker, distance , remote control use
- LIZARD® Probe extension ready up to 200M, either for topside to topside or topside to subsea
- Easily sourced rechargeable Smart battery pack for up to 10 hours use
- Easily sourced universal AC adaptor/charger unit for continuous use or charging of Smart batteries
The LIZARD® LISS software is the powerhouse that drives the LIZARD® technology, whether for topside or subsea applications, the common interface ensures all users can readily apply the LIZARD® technology to a variety of applications without the requirement for additional software training. The GUI is deliberately designed to utilise graphical input by way of simple sliders for rapid data manipulation with the option of hot keys for common tasks.
Rapid length and depth sizing from a single scan pass single scan pass using the intuitive LISS interface, on site or for re-called data sets.
LISS provides an unparalleled level of data review from a single data set, switchable between various Plot modes to suit the application without the requirement to repeat scans. Most Plot modes within LISS typically feature data sets comprising of AC Field Measurement (Bx/Bz) and Classic Impedance information, this allow for greater clarity of scan data and the ability to manipulate the Impedance output for even greater control of AC Field Measurement data.
The Lizard® technology and LISS software is an ideal fit for the inspection of railway vehicles and infrastructure due to the versatility of the Lizard® FGI system. The Lizard® FGI technology was identified by a major passenger vehicle manufacturer as a possible means of inspection technique for the wheel tread on their new build passenger trains. The Lizard® FGI technology was adapted to suit the profile of the wheel tread and configured to identify profile wear, crack location and severity as well as areas of work hardening (upper bainite and martensite) that were later identified to be areas of damage caused by a faulty set up of the ABS braking system. The manufacturer was able to feed the data obtained by the Lizard® technology back into the ride design team to address the issue ans significantly reduce wheel wear allowing longer periods between wheel re-profiling and replacement.
LISS operates within the Windows environment and as such features cross compatibility with other Windows software packages making report scripting quick and easy. LISS is compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and continues to be developed with incremental updates as standard.
The standard range of LIZARD® probe types are designed to suit most industrial applications and common weld geometry found within many engineering structures with most probe types available as either topside or subsea variants. Typically LIZARD® probe types are supplied as arrays with Absolute (Bx) and Current Perturbation (Bz) per channel. In this way the LIZARD® allows the user to obtain data sets from a single sweep that encompasses defect location, defect depth and length information, lift off/probe coupling and Classic impedance information from both Absolute (Bx) and Current Perturbation (Bz) components in a user friendly display (Note - Lift Off is a term that describes the distance between the active probe and the conductive surface of the test piece probe coupling).
Due to the unique LIZARD® interrogating technology the user is able to apply adjustments to the raw or processed data to improve scan clarity by reducing the effect of Lift Off (probe ‘wobble’ minimisation) and defect display optimisation, all by way of simple software sliders or numeric input.
The LIZARD® probe range are generally housed in a hard anodised aluminium body housing with super hard encapsulate for coil protection. Due to the available ‘Lift Off’ properties of the LIZARD® probe types additional protection can be given to the probe face without compromising inspection integrity. Additionally this ‘Lift Off’ can also be utilised for inspection through non-conductive coatings (such as paint, epoxy coatings) or conductive coatings (such as flame sprayed aluminium, zinc).
Due to the unique process used by the Lizard® LISS software for defect measurement, encoder devices are not generally required and therefore structures still having grime, grease or other residual coatings, can easily be inspected without the usual concerns or cleanliness required for mechanical or optical encoders. Should the application require an encoder however the LIZARD® M8 system can provide support by simple connection to the Remote port.
- Speciality Probes
As is often the case in our industry, a need arises that cannot be adequately addressed with standard off the shelf NDT products. In these situations Lizard® has a proven track record of supplying custom built sensors, software and systems, to fit the need of the client quickly, to budget, and most importantly meet the application specification with a successful working end product. Some examples of previous custom built probes are shown below.
These Lizard custom probes were designed to be used in the wind farm industry for scanning 15cm diameter securing bolts. Probe A is for vertical direction scanning and Probe B is for horizontal direction scans. These same style probes could be used on a large variety of cylindrical/tubular structures. Omni-directional versions of these probes are also available if the application supports the use.
This probe was designed for the rail industry to scan for radial or tangential cracks on the surface area around 12mm nominal holes. The holes could only be accessed from one side with limited access, requiring a compact automated probe assembly. The head of the probe is fitted with three expanding fingers that centralize and hold the probe in place. This minimizes the size of the probe yet allows the scanning to be automated via a motor that is directly controlled by the host unit to provide a synchronized scan, allowing the system to be used by a single operator. Degree markers on the scan indicate the position of any defects.
This Lizard system has been automated for inspecting inner cracking of LPG tanks under robotic control. Expoxy layers are applied on the inner tank surface to alleviate stress corrosion cracking which, without the Lizard system, would require removal before any inspection. The system shown here is a remote scanner with magnetic rollers carrying automated Lizard Field Gradient Imaging tracked using a video camera. The system is able to provide crack detection down to 10mm in length by 1mm depth and assures full coverage of the inspection area.
- Services - Calibration & Repairs
We recommend that LIZARD® equipment is checked annually and as such Lizard® NDE offer a priority calibration service for clients with the aim of reducing down time to a minimum. We appreciate that your NDT system is your livelihood and as such do everything within our power to ensure the speedy return of the system to the testing pool.
Every PCB within the LIZARD® M8 or LIZARD® Dive system is individually tested using a specialist test station following disassembly and fully inspected for anomalies. Probes are also tested using a specialised test bed and against known defects on metallic components to ensure functionality. Should repairs or replacements be required we will always first seek permission from the system owner, alternatively a repair budget ceiling can be established prior to commencing works following unsuccessful calibration. When our technicians are confident that the system is in full working order, final tests are performed and recorded to enable the issuance of a new certificate of calibration. Finally priority shipping is used to speed the return of your system to the field.
Although Lizard NDE's primary function is the supply of world class inspection technology to the marketplace we recognise that there may be occasions when our help is required at site, either in a consultancy role or to provide the full inspection capability. For these occasions Lizard are able to mobilise trained operators and test equipment worldwide. Please contact us for more information.